Tec Walcheren wants to be a safe place for all immigrant children in Walcheren – a place where they can study and further their language development, in order to continue into mainstream education.
We want to achieve this by:
- having a personal relationship with our students built on trust
- thematic language teaching supported by the NT2 level and methods
- tailoring education at an individual level
- a balanced but lively working environment.
- having a good relationship with parents and guardians alike
- forward thinking and focussing on integration in Dutch society
- an easy transfer into regular education
The team and the classes
Tec Walcheren currently has 4 year groups, all of which are classified by age. Tec 1 is ar kindergarten level for year groups 1 and 2. Tec 2 is intended for students in year groups 3 and 4 in mainstream education, Tec 3 for children who would normally be in either years 5 and 6 and Tec 4 is for the children in upper years.
The number of students per class changes regularly, however each has a maximum of around 15 students alongside a is a teacher and teaching assistant. In addition to this, the school also employs a location manager, an internal supervisor, a professional management member and a game supervisor.
the school boards
Eight school boards of primary education at Walcheren joined forces in January 2014 to maintain an accessible school facility for children with a refugee background, whether or not residing at the AZC. In collaboration with the Municipality of Middelburg they have laid this down in a covenant.
The school boards involved are: Archipel schools, Onze Wijs, ABS, Vrije school, GPOWN, Prisma, VCPOZ, Joos van Larenschool.